This driver will allow you to connect to a MySQL database server, send queries and retrieve resulting recordsets. This driver is 100% written in REBOL and doesn't require any additional library (like libmysql). It works with all REBOL products and on all platforms supported by REBOL ! You only need one file to make it work and it's size is less than 30Kb !
It works by adding a new scheme (mysql://) that enables any REBOL product to talk to a MySQL server. Here are some code examples :
db: open mysql://root@localhost/books ; open the connection print send-sql db "SELECT * FROM Authors" ; send a SQL query close db ; close the connection
Here's an even greater example using the REBOL read shortcut function :
;-- Return the list of tables in 'books' database print read mysql://root@localhost/books ;-- Open a port, send a SQL query and close the port print read/custom mysql://root@localhost/books ["SELECT * FROM Authors"]
Administration commands are also supported :
print insert db [statistics] insert db [shutdown] insert db [ping] insert db [reload log grant status]
This driver have been designed and especially optimized for REBOL from the ground up ! It takes very little resources and can work with millions of records using the COPY/PART and FIRST functions. This driver is also very fast ! Just try it, you won't believe that it's an interpreted driver !
- MySQL server v3, v4 and v5 supported.
- SQL Prepared Statements supported.
- Server administration commands supported (statistics, reload, process-kill,...).
- Automatic reconnection to the server if the connection times out.
- Programmable SQL types <=> REBOL types conversion system.
- Command-line client included in the archive.
- Close integration within REBOL (virtual series).
- Runs unchanged on 18+ OSes : see supported OSes here
- Compact : 26Kb (for the driver)
- Open-source : BSD-like license.
Download & Install
Download the latest version and save it in a directory. To install the driver, just uncompress the ZIP archive on your local disk. The driver files are now installed in a directory called mysql-driver/ and you are free to move it and rename it. The archive is composed of 4 files :
|%mysql.r||A command-line MySQL client|
|%mysql-wrapper.r||Gabriele Santilli's MySQL helping pack|
To use the driver, just DO it ! :) :
>> cd %mysql-driver/ >> do %mysql-protocol.r MySQL protocol loaded
The driver is now loaded and ready to use !
The complete driver documentation is included in the driver's archive. You can also read it online here :
- Improve the command-line client. (add multiline typing support)
- Make a graphical client and admin tool
- v.1.2.1 - 12/07/2008
- Fixed a long standing bug in the reconnection process, now the driver will correctly reset the port state before trying to reconnect.
- Comments using sharp symbol (#) are now supported in SQL scripts.
- SQL characters escaping function optimized, now almost 2 times faster.
- 'sql-escape and 'to-sql are now global functions.
- MySQL zero dates special values are now converted to 1-jan-0000, instead of throwing an error.
- v.1.2.0 - 23/09/2007
- Changed behaviour and syntax of the READ function.
- Fix for parsing correctly quoted empty strings. (Fix by Oldes) - Fix for the driver loosing local flags, like 'flat, 'auto-ping?,... when reconnecting (thanks to Will Arp) - Fix a remanence issue on /flat and /raw flags in 'send-sql after automatic reconnection. (thanks to Will Arp) - Improved port recovery support after a failed request upon a shutdown server. - An init SQL string can now be specified for an opened port.
- v.1.1.2 - 16/06/2007
- Fix for an infinite loop issue when the server times out the connection (unix platforms).
- TCP keepalive option activated by default (for longstanding idle connections).
- Send-cmd function optimized to be a little bit faster and use less memory.
- Added new-lines markers to resulting recorsets.
- Added option to switch on/off new-lines marker through port/locals/newlines? flag.
- Recycle call removed from read-rows function. Should speed up the results a little bit.
- Minor source code cleanup.
- v.1.1.1 - 22/05/2007
- Multi-statements queries parsing improved. Semi-colons included in quoted strings are now ignored.
- Email!, url! and other any-string! values are now correctly escaped in prepared statements.
- Empty block! values are now converted to "()" instead of "(NULL)".
- v.1.1.0 - 01/05/2007
- Added 'send-sql global functon (new prefered way of querying the server).
- Added 'name-fields global function to add column names to a record.
- Added support for SQL queries with multiple statements separated by a semicolumn.
- Small fix for buffer and cache sync issue in rare cases.
- Documentation updated.
- v.1.0.7 - 01/07/2006
- Fixes a comptability issue in handshaking with new servers using old passwords format.
- v.1.0.6 - 10/06/2006
- Added support for new types: var-char, bit, new-decimal.
- New property: flat? to allow flat resulting recordsets (one block only).
- 's added in local context in packet reading rules.
- Query returning empty sets now returns a runtime created block! instead of a literal one.
- Reliability improved : random 1043 and 1045 error on connecting now silently handled.
- Bug fix : cache reading buffer size wasn't always in sync with main buffer. (Thanks to Ammon)
- Bug fix : 'byte word added to local context
- Bug fix : port init now correctly handle '?' marker (Thanks to Coccinelle)
- Bug fix : added a missing 'any call in 'read-packet function (never caused any trouble so far)
- Upgrade of password authentication to support server v4.1.1+. (Thanks to Petr Krenzelok for his help)
- Minor additions to support new protocol flags.
- Bug fix : correct the buffer/cache size synchronization. (Thanks to Hallvard Ystad for its bug report)
- Patch to 'insert to support molded blocks as args.
- Sent SQL string can be now be seen in trace mode.
- Documentation updated.
- v.0.9.9 - 25/07/2001
- Date!, time!, money!, binary! and block! types are now converted to SQL.
- Auto-reconnecting on 'insert calls when server restart or after a timeout.
- Added flag 'auto-ping? in port/locals
- Added support for user-defined mySQL types handlers.
- Added 'change-type-handler function to global context.
- "?" in password field will ask for hidden password typing.
- Characters '_ and '% were escaped in inserted strings by error. Fixed.
- Nasty bug fixed in binary decoding rules. /case refinement added to 'parse calls.
- Several bug-fixes in Rebol to SQL conversions.
- Little code clean-up.
- mySQL client app updated.
- Added to archive: mysql-wrapper.r from Gabriele Santilli.
- Documentation updated.
- v.0.8.6 - 24/05/2001
- A bug was introduced in 0.8.5 in the handshake process when the handshake fails. Fixed.
- Multiple opened ports at the same time now supported ! (You can now mix 'open and 'read calls on multiple ports)
- Some minor code clean-up.
- v.0.8.5 - 10/03/2001
- Server admin commands now supported.(see docs)
- Enhanced low-level I/O. (more robust)
- Records end pre-fetched. (see docs)
- Automatic flush of unread records.
- Inserting rebol values into sql strings supported.(see docs)
- Little bug in 'read fixed. (Appeared when mixing 'read and 'open calls)
- Date & time values now converted to Rebol types.
- 'mysql-cmd suppressed. (not needed anymore)
- Trace/net is now more verbose.
- Bug in binary encoding functions fixed.
- Code clean-up.
- v.0.8.4 - 12/02/2001
- Null values conversion bug. Fixed.
- 'Null now handled at low-level.
- Added field flags decoding.
- Some minor code clean-up.
- v.0.8.3 - 07/02/2001
- 'first works now ! (see Usage)
- 'copy just after 'open will timeout. Fixed.
- v.0.8.2 - 06/02/2001
- Timeout when no column returned. Fixed
- matched-rows added to port/locals.
- 'mysql-cmd added to global context.
- Bug in binary decoding rules. Fixed.
- v.0.8.1 - 30/01/2001
- Now 'read is stable under 2.4.40
- v.0.8.0 - 29/01/2001
- First release for /Link users.